Trafford Park 6490

Trafford, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

This site had a house with grounds and a park, incorporating a much older deer park. In the mid-19th-century the hall at the centre of the estate was surrounded by an extensive pleasure ground divided from the park by a ha-ha. The site was bounded on one side by the River Irwell and on the other by the Bridgewater Canal, The entrance to the park from the west was past a lodge near to the canal. There were extensive wooded areas within the park and an icehouse and two small lakes to the west of the house. The site is now lost, though the lake survives. The area is now an industrial complex.

History

The deer park was owned by Sir Humphrey de Trafford and contained fallow deer and highland cattle. Trafford deer park included 600 acres of park with a further 400 acres of woodland and was fenced with iron fencing 1.8 metres high. By the late-19th-century the area was undergoing rapid industrial development, although the site including the hall and park remained intact and a new fish pond had been created. The estate was sold by Sir Humphrey de Trafford to a local businessman and the Trafford Parks Estate was registered in 1896.

Features
Lake
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit