Thriplow House 5644

Thriplow, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include lawns, gate piers and a drive.

History

Thriplow House was established in the mid-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The gardens to the south retain many of the original Victorian features including extensive lawns with specimen trees-copper beech and spreading golden yews. Although the house is now subdivided into flats, the drive still winds through yew trees; the solid brick entrance gate piers remain. There is a Victorian lodge with a separate garden.
Features
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Thriplow
History

Detailed History

Situated within four hectares of mature wood and parkland on the southern edge of the village, Thriplow House was built between 1858 and 1863 for the Ellis family who were local landowners.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust