Manor House, Thriplow 5643

Thriplow, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include an orchard, woodland, moat and vegetable gardens.

History

The present Manor House, Thriplow was established in the late-17th century.

Detailed Description

Manor House is approached through a wide gateway in the middle of a long brick and clunch wall which encloses the formal garden. This wall may date from 1678-96 when the property was held by Sir Christopher Hatton of Longstanton who built the brick wall around the formal garden which is mainly laid to lawn today, and left vases which bear his coat of arms.

The lawns are surrounded by herbaceous borders and mature trees. The rear garden has a southerly aspect and there are vegetable gardens, with fruit cages and a greenhouse. To the east and south is a moat which marks the site of the medieval manor house. It is now an orchard and open woodland. The whole garden comprises four hectares and has an extensive display of spring bulbs.

Features
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Greenhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Thriplow
History

Detailed History

Manor House was established in the 14th century, but was refurbished between 1678-96.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust