Facilities at Stoneydown Park and Gardens include play areas, ornamental gardens and a pavilion.
Stoneydown Park is called after Stoney Doun(s), the name of a large field in the locality. The park consists of two areas. The first to be provided as a public amenity was the ornamental gardens, then known as Stoneydown Gardens, which were opened in 1920. In 1955 Stoneydown Recreation Ground was created from former farmland. It was acclaimed at the time as Walthamstow's most up-to-date recreation ground and children's playground. It was laid out with numerous facilities for children of all ages, including a plot of land left in its natural state and an adventure section. A footpath was created to link it to Stoneydown Gardens, and the whole area then became known as Stoneydown Park.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 9am - half hour before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 9am - half hour before sunset.
DirectionsLondon Overground/Tube (Victoria): Blackhorse Road. Bus: 123, 158, 230
- Early 20th Century