The common today has woodland and heathland with an area of older woodland at The Grove.
Stanmore Common is a remnant of the once extensive common lands in Great Stanmore that were reduced by enclosure. There were two manors, Great Stanmore and Little Stanmore, and the area was rural until the C20th. Archaeological finds indicate that there was settlement here from the Bronze Age. Stanmore Cricket Club was established in 1853 when an area of the common was enclosed for the purpose, once the site of an C18th bowling green.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Stanmore (Jubilee) then bus. Bus: 142
London Parks and Gardens Trust