The churchyard contains the ruins of the old brick church of St John the Evangelist, built in 1632, and the new church, which was built in 1850 when the old church was too small and also found to be unsafe. The parish had strong connections with the many local dignitaries with estates in the area, to whom there are notable monuments in the church and churchyard.
Local estates of historic interest included Stanmore Park, Stanmore Hall and Bentley Priory, the latter at one time the home of Lord Abercorn and Lord Aberdeen, whose son Douglas Gordon was Rector and one of the donors of the new church.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. Ruined church open Sats 2.30-4.30 from April - September.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. Ruined church open Sats 2.30-4.30 from April - September.
DirectionsTube: Stanmore (Jubilee). Bus: 142, 324, 340, H12
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust