Standish Hall Park 6591

Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

In the late-19th-century the hall stood in extensive parkland to the south-west of Standish and was approached by a long entrance drive through the plantation of Beech Walk through the north-eastern part of the park. The house, with the Roman Catholic chapel, was roughly central to the site surrounded by pleasure grounds and woods with interconnecting path systems and possibly a ha-ha to the south. There were large fish ponds in the southern section of the park. Glasshouses and the productive garden were situated at the edge of the pleasure grounds, backing on to Hot House Wood. A track leads to the Hermitage, north of the house and probably associated with it. The house has been demolished but remnants of the parkland and tree planting survive.

History

The last Standish to live in the hall was Charles Strickland Standish who let it in 1824 or 1825 to Thomas Darwell, Mayor of Wigan. In 1920 the owner, Mr James Birkett Almond (son of the brewer of the same name), broke up the estate and sold it. In 1923 the chapel and the Tudor style wing were pulled down and parts sent to be rebuilt in America as the result of a mistaken belief that the hall had been the birthplace of Miles Standish of Dusbury, one of the Pilgrim Fathers.

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Now Demolished
  • Description: The hall was partly a timber-framed construction and partly brick, with a chapel. The hall was built in 1574 by the Standish family. There were many later additions.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Period

  • 16th Century
References

References