After WWII the churchyard area was extended west and south and laid out as a garden around the statue of Captain John Smith, a member of the Cordwainers' Company, who founded the colony of Virginia. The churchyard was re-landscaped in 2008/09 and is now largely paved, with a mature plane tree and the statue of Smith remaining.
Possibly so-called for being built on arches or for having arches on top of its steeple, St Mary-le-Bow was recorded here by the C11th. Destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, the church was rebuilt by Wren between 1671-80, his designs based on the Temple of Peace in Rome. When the foundations were excavated they were thought to be those of a Roman temple but later deemed to be the crypt of the Norman church.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Mansion House (District, Circle)
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust