St Peter's Church in Norbiton was the first of Gilbert Scott's seven Commissioners Churches, and opened in 1842. A yellow and white brick building in Norman style, St Peter's was not completed according to Scott's original designs due to lack of funds, and he was apparently displeased with it.
Norbiton Common was enclosed in 1808, the name Norbiton referring to the 'north enclosure', with Surbiton referring to the 'south enclosure'. It was made a separate parish from Kingston Parish Church of All Saints in the 1830s. A photograph of around 1900 shows the church with railings to the road, gateway with overthrow flanked by stone and churchyard with evergreen and deciduous trees. The chancel and baptistery were added by 1909.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Norbiton. Bus: 131, 726, 57, 85, 213.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Peter's Churchyard, Norbiton
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust