The cemetery is on hilly land previously known as Bonner Hill Fields, with the Hogsmill River forming its southern boundary. Some of the native trees, which include oak, birch, ash, holly, hawthorn and yew, may predate the cemetery. It was simply laid out on formal lines; at the highest point and directly in front of the main entrance are two gothic chapels designed by Aickin and Capes.
Kingston Cemetery was set up by Kingston Municipal Burial Board in 1855, prior to which all burials had been in Kingston's parish churchyard of All Saints and its overflow burial ground at Union Street.
Visitor FacilitiesMon-Fri 9am - 4pm (Nov-Jan)/ - 5pm (Feb & Oct)/ - 6pm (Mar, Apr, Sept)/ - 7pm (May-Aug). Sat/Sun BH 10am - 4pm (Nov - Jan) - 5pm (Feb-Oct)
Detailed DescriptionKingston Cemetery was set up in 1855 on a hilly site bordered to the south by the Hogsmill River. It was simply laid out on formal lines and has two gothic chapels linked by a porte-cochère. The cemetery was extended in the south and in 1952 a brick Crematorium was built, with landscaping around the building completed in 1958. Throughout the cemetery are mature trees including various exotic species, and the cemetery has a war memorial.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Sue Swales, Ian Yarham, Bob Britton, 'Nature Conservation in Kingston upon Thames', Ecology Handbook 18 (London Ecology Unit) 1992
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=KIN027
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsMon-Fri 9am - 4pm (Nov-Jan)/ - 5pm (Feb & Oct)/ - 6pm (Mar, Apr, Sept)/ - 7pm (May-Aug). Sat/Sun BH 10am - 4pm (Nov - Jan) - 5pm (Feb-Oct)
DirectionsRail: Kingston then bus/walk. Bus: K1, 131, 726 (then walk)
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust