The Burial Board had already carried out some tree planting in the 1890s prior to conversion to a public garden; in 1912 the headstones were moved to the perimeter, walks were laid out and railed, trees were planted along the walks and it was opened as a public garden in 1913.
The fine Baroque church of St Paul Deptford was one of 12 churches completed for the '50 New Churches Commission' set out in Acts of 1710 and 1711. It became a separate parish from that of St Nicholas Deptford, which had grown substantially by that time. The site selected was then in use as a market garden, and was owned by the brother of Royal Gardener, Henry Wise. The Commission required the burial ground to be walled as a measure to deter grave robbers. By now overcrowded, St Paul's churchyard was finally closed in 1858. In 1910 an Act of Parliament enabled the former burial ground to be converted into public gardens, and in 1912 St Paul's was the first churchyard to do so.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground/Rail: New Cross. Rail: Deptford
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust