The park is separated by a path from the church and original churchyard, with an entrance gate set into the brick wall. Numerous tombstones and graves are within the garden and around the perimeter.
St Alfege Park is on part of the former burial land of St Alfege, whose churchyard was extended in 1803 but eventually closed for burials in 1853. The west part of the burial ground containing the old mortuary was converted into a public garden in 1889 and its layout remains largely unchanged. The present church is the third on this site, built on the place of St Alfege's martyrdom on 19 April 1012. Due to the proximity of the royal palace at Greenwich, the church has many royal associations.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 9am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 9am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Greenwich. DLR: Greenwich, Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich. Bus: 177, 180, 188, 199, 286, 386.
London Parks and Gardens Trust