St Alfege Churchyard (also known as Greenwich Parish Church)7366

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The former churchyard adjacent to the church has grass and trees, surrounded by cobblestones, and perimeter planting; remaining tombstones are stacked by the church.

History

St Alfege Church is on the site of martyrdom of Alfege, Archbishop of Canterbury, who was kidnapped and later murdered by the Danes in 1012. The first church was built soon after his death. Due to the proximity of the royal palace at Greenwich the church has many royal associations and was where Henry VIII was baptised. Greenwich later lost its prominence; following storm damage in 1710 the church was rebuilt under the Fifty New Churches Act of 1711. Among those buried here are Thomas Tallis (1585) and General James Wolfe, who died in action in Quebec in 1759 and was brought back for burial in the family vault.

Visitor Facilities

Opening is unrestricted; Church open Sat 11.30am-4pm; Sun 12-4pm; at other times by appointment (Church Office 020 8853 0687)
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opening is unrestricted; Church open Sat 11.30am-4pm; Sun 12-4pm; at other times by appointment (Church Office 020 8853 0687)

Directions

Rail: Greenwich. DLR: Greenwich, Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich. Bus: 129, 177, 180, 188, 199, 286, 386.
Associated People

Just one person associated to St Alfege Churchyard

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • St Alfege Church, Diocese of Southwark

References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust