The late-17th century walled churchyard has a charnel or watch house, and contains many tombs.
Deptford was originally a riverside village called Depeford and there has been a church on this site since at least 1183. In Tudor times Deptford developed into a small town largely as a result of the shipyard established by Henry VIII in 1513, and by 1730 had two parishes, that of St Nicholas at Lower Deptford and St Paul's at Upper Deptford. The diarist Sir John Evelyn (1620-1706) was a church warden of St Nicholas and lived at Sayes Court, formerly Deptford manor. The churchyard was the burial place of Christopher Marlowe following his fatal stabbing in 1593.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. Church open Sun 9am - 12.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. Church open Sun 9am - 12.
DirectionsRail: Deptford. Bus: 188, 199, 47.
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust