The tower at the south-west corner was saved by an Act of Parliament and is all that remains of the church, standing within a small garden formed on the former burial ground. On the level area facing the tower the garden is largely planted with yew and privet hedging, creating seating areas protected from the busy road alongside. Behind the tower the garden slopes steeply upwards.
St Mary Somerset dates from at least the C12th, and appears to have been called St Mary's Summer's Hith, perhaps due to its proximity to a wharf or 'hith' owned by a family of that name or after Ralph de Sumery. Destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 the church was rebuilt by Wren in 1685-94. Churchwardens' Accounts for 1680 record that 6 elm trees were planted in the burial ground. The church was demolished in 1869 and the site was acquired by the Corporation of London in 1872.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Mansion House (District, Circle)
London Parks and Gardens Trust