New railings and gates ornamented with grape vines were donated by the Vintners' Company in around 1965 enclosing the small area of churchyard that remains in front of the church. A bronze statue of 'The Barge Master and Swan Marker of the Vintners Company' is installed in the landscaped area to the west of the church.
St James Garlickhythe is probably so-called due to its proximity to a hithe or wharf where garlic was landed and sold. The earliest date of a church here is 1170; it was rebuilt in 1326 probably through the will of Sheriff Richard Rothing. Among others buried here were Richard Lions, a wine merchant beheaded by Wat Tyler's rebels, and a number of Lord Mayors of London of the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. In 1808 the churchyard was enclosed by iron railings and in 1814/5 a small engine house for the parish fire engine was erected at the north east corner, surviving until World War 2.
Visitor FacilitiesAs church: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAs church: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm
DirectionsTube: Mansion House (District, Circle)
- Medieval (1066-1540)
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust