The garden surrounding the church contains one large mature holly tree but many of the other trees are of recent planting, and include several conifers and sycamores, probably self-sown, as well as buddleia and perennial plants. The garden is surrounded by a privet hedge, which sketches and pictures show increasing in height from about that time.
St Matthew’s Church was, to quote the title of a 1978 exhibition, built on a swamp. The parish was created in 1872 after the church was built in 1870/1 to the designs of Sir Arthur Blomfield. It was later restored in 1956/7 and the small garden that surrounds the church on three sides probably dates from that time. Judging by photographs of 1905 there were once large trees, probably poplars, and it seems likely that these went when the church was restored.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Shepherd's Bush Market (Hammersmith and City). Rail/London Overground/Tube (Central): Shepherd's Bush. Bus: 49
London Parks and Gardens Trust