Leighton House Museum is the former home of Victorian artist Frederic Lord Leighton (1830-1896), a grand house with a large secluded garden. With funding from the HLF, the garden of Leighton House was restored in 1997 based on a plan of 1896 that showed formal beds immediately in front of the house and a large lawn with perimeter herbaceous borders. A trellis covered part of the path on the west of the garden and two mounds were originally planted with substantial trees.
The house with purpose-built painting studio was designed for Frederic Lord Leighton in the mid-1860s by architect George Aitchison on a plot adjacent to Holland Farm, part of the Holland Estate. At that time the area to the north was open land, but gradually other grand houses were built, and the area became a centre for artists, writers and politicians. Leighton's immediate neighbour was the painter Val Prinsep, whose house by Philip Webb was built at the same time as Leighton's, and later residents included Sir Luke Fildes. Leighton lived here until his death in 1896, the house then opening as a museum.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open daily except Tuesdays (Wed-Mon) 10am-5.30pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open daily except Tuesdays (Wed-Mon) 10am-5.30pm.
DirectionsTube: High Street Kensington (District, Circle); Kensington Olympia (District). Bus: 9, 10, 27, 28, 49, 328
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust