The churchyard has over 200 memorials dating from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. The detached walled Burial Ground, sometimes called the cemetery, was enclosed from farmland in 1857 then on the edge of the village of Bexley. The lych-gate, originally at the main entrance, was moved to its current position and replaced by an elaborate entrance in 1891.
A church in 'Bixle' was recorded at the time of the Domesday Survey, but there may have been an earlier Saxon church. Major restoration was undertaken to St Mary's Church in 1883 with the intention of reproducing its 15th-century appearance, at which time more trees and shrubs were planted in the churchyard.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Bexley. Bus: 492, 132, 229, 269, B12
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
Church of England (Archdeaconry of Bexley and Bromley)/St Mary's PCC/LB Bexley
London Parks and Gardens Trust