Since 1903 most of this site has been a golf course, with the clubhouse occupying the site of the demolished house. Other features include areas of woodland, formal gardens, a bowling green, War Memorial and a community centre.
Barnehurst Golf Club was established here in 1903, on the former estate lands of May Place. The old mansion, built c.1480 but altered and extended over the centuries, had passed through numerous owners. In 1748 it was purchased by Miles Barnes, after whose family Barnescray and Barnehurst were named. In 1938 the house and golf course were purchased by Crayford UDC but the house was later destroyed in a fire of 1954. The new clubhouse was built on its site. Crayford War Memorial was unveiled here in 1954 set in a memorial garden.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 7.45am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 7.45am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Barnehurst then bus, Crayford then bus. Bus: 492, 469.
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust