Overlooking Bedfont Green, the church's small churchyard has a low brick wall at the front, with a higher wall to the rear. Either side of the path to the church door are two ancient yew trees, famous for their peacock topiary.
Bedfont is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 and St Mary's church dates from the 12th century, with various later extensions to the building. The peacock topiary was originally created in 1704 and for centuries was the pride of the village, apparently created to shame two haughty spinsters of the parish. The practice of churchyard topiary, popular in the 18th century, later lapsed, but the peacocks were later restored in 1990.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Feltham then bus. Bus: H25, 116
- 12th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust