Bedfont Cemetery and St Mary's Burial Ground extension 7176

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

St Mary's Burial Ground is much overgrown and wooded with mown paths cutting through the undergrowth, with a few tombs visible. The cemetery has tarmac paths and an avenue of lime trees along the path, with hawthorn hedging, some ornamental trees and a small brick shelter.

History

St Mary's Burial Ground was opened at a service on 6 May 1876. In 1935 adjacent land was conveyed to the local Burial Board for Bedfont Cemetery, which was consecrated in July 1941.

Visitor Facilities

9am - 4pm (Nov-Feb); - 5.30pm (Mar/Oct); - 7pm (Apr/May/Aug/Sept); - 8pm (Jun/July). Xmas Day 9am-2pm

Detailed Description

St Mary's Burial Ground was opened at a service on 6 May 1876, when more space was needed for the parish burials of St Mary's East Bedfont. The land was previously in agricultural use, known as Little Field. In 1935 adjacent land was conveyed to the local Burial Board for Bedfont Cemetery, which was consecrated in July 1941. St Mary's Burial Ground is much overgrown and wooded with mown paths cutting through the undergrowth, with a few tombs visible. The lych-gate was damaged in 1989 and replaced in 1990/2. The cemetery has tarmac paths and an avenue of lime trees along the path, with hawthorn hedging, some ornamental trees and a small brick shelter. It adjoins Bedfont Lakes Country Park.

Sources consulted:

LB Hounslow Local Studies Centre files

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HOU004

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

9am - 4pm (Nov-Feb); - 5.30pm (Mar/Oct); - 7pm (Apr/May/Aug/Sept); - 8pm (Jun/July). Xmas Day 9am-2pm

Directions

Rail: Feltham then bus. Tube: Hatton Cross (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus H26.
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust