The former churchyard is now laid out as a small garden with a central tree, three headstones set against the wall among shrubbery and gravestones form a path leading to the west entrance of the church.
St Mary Aldermary is an early church, described by John Stow as 'older than any church of St Mary in the Citie' and Aldermary (the elder Mary) may reflect this. Various additions to the building took place over the years, including partial rebuilding in 1510/11 at the behest of the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Henry Keble. In 1534 one of its rectors, Henry Gold, was executed for his involvement with the 'Holy Maid of Kent'. John Milton married his third wife here in 1662. Damaged in the Great Fire of 1666, the church was rebuilt by Christopher Wren.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Mansion House (District, Circle)
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Mary Aldermary Churchyard
London Parks and Gardens Trust