The former churchyard behind the church has been laid out as a 17th-century style knot garden. The Museum of Garden History, now renamed the Garden Museum, was officially opened in 1983 by HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Among the monuments in the garden is that of the Tradescant family of 1662, and also that of Admiral William Bligh of 'The Bounty', erected in 1817. A wild garden was created in 2007 in the former churchyard in front of St Mary's.
St Mary-at-Lambeth Church dates from 1377 and was restored in the 1850s, but by 1971 the church was redundant and threatened with demolition, its churchyard unkempt. In 1976 the Tradescant Trust was formed and campaigned to save church and churchyard for conversion into a museum and conference centre for garden history. The site has particular importance for garden history since 3 generations of the Tradescant family of plant collectors are buried here. By February 1979 sufficient funds were raised and restoration began.
Visitor FacilitiesFront churchyard unrestricted. Museum open daily 10.30am-5pm (earlier closing in winter and closed mid-Dec to early Feb).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsFront churchyard unrestricted. Museum open daily 10.30am-5pm (earlier closing in winter and closed mid-Dec to early Feb).
DirectionsRail: Waterloo. Tube: Waterloo (Northern, Waterloo and City, Jubilee, Bakerloo); Lambeth North (Northern) then bus, Lambeth North (Bakerloo). Bus: 3, 77, 344, 507
The Tradescant Trust