The recreation ground was extended in 1929 and by the 1970s was largely asphalted. Since re-landscaped, it has grassy mounds, a water feature, with shrubs and spring bulbs planted.
Lambeth High Street Recreation Ground was previously a burial ground provided to the parish by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1703. It was extended in 1816, but by 1853 was full and closed to burial. In 1880 it was decided to convert it into a public garden, which opened in 1884. Gravestones were moved to boundary walls, the mortuary was left standing, as was a watch house although this has now gone.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset.
DirectionsTube: Lambeth North (Bakerloo)
London Parks and Gardens Trust