Both sites have churchyards and contain a fine collection of large 18th- and 19th-century monuments, including the Call monument with obelisk and coat of arms of 1794. Two Astronomers Royal, Sir Edmund Halley and John Pond, were buried here, and also John Cocking who died attempting to land in a parachute from a balloon.
The ruined tower is all that remains of the medieval parish church of St Margaret of Antioch surrounded by its old churchyard. Although it was largely rebuilt in 1813-14 there were structural problems and it was decided to build a new church. This was built on other side of the road in 1839-41.
Visitor FacilitiesOld churchyard 8am - dusk, churchyard around new church unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOld churchyard 8am - dusk, churchyard around new church unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Blackheath. Bus: 54, 89, 108
Diocese of Southwark
London Parks and Gardens Trust