Blackheath is common land, the name probably arising from the colour of the soil. The northern part of the heath is in LB Greenwich, the southern part in LB Lewisham.
It has been managed for public use since 1871 when it was taken over by the MBW, although it has long had public access courtesy of the lords of the manor, an important place for a multitude of events from fairs to actions of highwaymen, royal celebrations to rebellions, battles to religious gatherings. Associations with sporting activities include its early use for golf, cricket and football. Until the C18th and rise of speculative building Blackheath was largely undeveloped and consisted of a few cottages; a number of the ponds are probably the remains of gravel pits. During WWII parts of Blackheath were ploughed and other areas had Nissen huts for the army.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsDLR: Greenwich. Rail: Blackheath. Bus: 53, 54, 89, 108, 202, 380
London Parks and Gardens Trust