The River Quaggy runs through the site, much of which is meadow and wetland.
The site was previously known as Harrow Meadow, an area of boggy open land through which the River Quaggy ran. This was culverted by Woolwich Metropolitan Borough Council in the 1930s when the area was being developed for housing, and 35 acres were landscaped for a public park, largely as playing fields. Sutcliffe Park opened in 1937, named after a former Borough Engineer; an athletics ground was added in 1954. To alleviate problems of flooding in the area when the river burst its banks, a scheme was drawn up in 1995 to lower the ground level of part of the park to accommodate flood waters. These works were completed and also included re-landscaping the park, which re-opened in 2004.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 9am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 9am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Kidbrooke. Bus: 122, 160, 321, B16