The rustic lych-gate at the entrance of the churchyard was erected to the memory of Dr Findlater and there are some good chest tombs and monuments particularly near the church; the churchyard to the north is open with a few scattered trees.
In Roman times tile-making was carried out in Stanmore and there are Roman tiles in the fabric of St Lawrence Whitchurch. The 12th-centruy church was rebuilt in 1715 by John James for the Duke of Chandos, owner of the Canons estate, although the early-16th-century west tower remains. It has a fine early-18th-century baroque interior. Handel was appointed music master at Canons in 1718 and played the church organ.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. Church open Sundays 2pm - 5pm (4pm in winter).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. Church open Sundays 2pm - 5pm (4pm in winter).
DirectionsTube: Canons Park (Jubilee). Bus: 79, 186, 340
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust