St George's Park 3086

Bristol, England

Brief Description

St George's is a municipal park, developed in the late-19th century by St George Local Board.

History

The park was absorbed by the City in 1897 and extended in 1938.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park, open daily for general public use.

Detailed Description

St. George's Park is a large area of open grassland. It is crossed by paths and contains many mature trees. Along the southern side of the park there is an avenue of plane trees. The park contains a natural valley in which a lake (covering 1.69 acres) lies. It has one wooded island. To the western side of the lake there is a small boathouse and a children's playground.

At the centre of the park is a raised circular area. This was the site of a bandstand until 1958 when it was demolished. Concerts are still held in the park during the summer.

In the south-western corner of the park there is a private lodge and behind this there is a car-park. There is also an area marked as 'playground' on the map. This was landscaped in the 1980s. There are concrete ramps and mounds and a bridge to form a BMX bicycle track.

The public library is situated in the south-eastern corner. this is a modern building which replaced the demolished Victoria Library. The piers, railings and gateways associated with this building still stand.

St. George's Park is well-maintained by Bristol City Council, with many recent tree plantings.

Features
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Along the southern side of the park there is an avenue of plane trees.
  • Lake
  • Description: There is a lake covering 1.69 acres.
  • Boat House
  • Description: To the west of the lake is a small boathouse.
  • Bandstand
  • Description: The bandstand was demolished in 1958.
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate
  • Description: This feature comprises the piers, gates and railings of St. George's Library. They were designed by Sir Frank Wills and date from 1898. There are two gateways with piers of Cattybrook brick and stone bands with a frieze and dentil cornice to the caps. There are four piers to each gateway with curved screen walls and wrought iron railings. The railings continue on a Pennant rubble wall between the gates.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park, open daily for general public use.
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • St George West
History

Detailed History

St. George's Park was purchased by St. George Local Board from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for £12,000. It was taken over by the Corporation on October 31st, 1897. £7,000 more was added to £18,540, which had already been spent on the layout.

In 1938 a farrier's cottage was demolished and an area of 13 poles was added to the park.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Bristol City Council

    The Council House, College Green, BS1 5TR
References

References