This is a municipal park dating to 1902.
The park was laid out on land presented to the Bristol Corporation by P.F. Sparke and Jonathan Evans.
Sparke Evans Park is a roughly rectangular area on the northern bank of the River Avon in St. Phillips. The park is lined with trees. The area to the west is an attractive rose garden. In the days of steam engines, the soot and fumes from the nearby railway sidings ensured that the roses were fairly free of black-spot and the park had the reputation of having one of the finest rose displays in the area.
The Avon Walkway runs along the southern edge of the park.
The park itself is surrounded by factories, warehouses and railway sidings. The residents of the nearest houses reach the park via a footbridge over the river. Despite its muddy tidal margins the river is much cleaner now and supports more wildlife than it did in the 1970s. There are tufted ducks, mallards, coots and moorhens.
Sparke Evans Park is well-maintained by the City Council.
- Garden Feature
- Description: This feature is the shelter. It consists of a rectangular structure with a pitched roof on wrought iron pillars. It is an attractive, decorative example of early-20th century park furniture.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Flower Bed
- Description: Rose beds.
- Ornamental Bridge
- Description: Avon River footbridge.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details
This is a municipal park for general public use.
The land was presented to the Corporation in 1902 by Messrs. P.F. Sparke Evans and Jonathan Evans. It was to be used as a public pleasure grounds and the present layout was completed by the Corporation. A Cornish granite fountain was erected but is now replaced by a functional chrome drinking fountain.
In 1922, boundary railings and gates were provided at a cost of £97, and a small chalet was erected at a cost of £203. A shelter was constructed and opened to the public in June 1925, the cost being £351.
During 1952-3, materials were provided to St. Silas A.F.C. for use in the adaptation of a hut for dressing rooms.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)