St Andrew's is a municipal park dating to 1890-95. It is on a sloping site with an informal layout. Features include specimen trees, a play area, a paddling pool, sundial and bowling green.
The land was purchased in 1890, and the park was opened five years later.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a municipal park open for general public use.
St. Andrew's Park is a pleasantly laid out area bounded by five roads in a residential area. The park contains many mature trees, including a number of pines. A bowling green and pavilion are at its north-western tip and a children's playground is at the north-east.
On the eastern side, adjacent to Maurice Road, there is an old static water tank. This was converted for use as a children's paddling pool in 1950-51.
In the centre of the park there is a large tarmac circle whcih was the site of an air-raid shelter. To the south-west is a circular freestone plinth whcih used to bear a sundial.
Although laid out at the same time as several other Bristol parks, St. Andrew's Park has a very individual character. This is due to its situation on a slope, its neat box bushes and the variety of its trees.
The park is well-maintained by the local authority.
- Description: Children's paddling pool.
- Description: The sundial plinth was probably an original feature of the park. A drinking fountain marked on the map no longer exists.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a municipal park open for general public use.
Detailed HistorySt. Andrew's Park was purchased in 1890 for £6,857. £6,190 was spent on laying out and the park was opened to the public in 1895. Playground equipment was installed in 1946.
Avon Gardens Trust