Heath House 1674

Stapleton, England

Brief Description

Heath House has an 18th-century walled garden within a larger walled enclosure on a 15th-century site. Features include a temple, three lodges, an orangery, formal flower garden and parkland.

History

The present house was built in 1836, though man y of the garden features pre-date this structure.

Detailed Description

The house is in Tudor style. Associated are a classical orangery (by Trubshaw, 1831), a formal flower garden (by Trubshaw or Loudon), and three lodges pre-dating the present house.

There is a temple, incoporating Ionic columns from a former house in the parkland, to the north-east. There are Victorian formal terraces to the south of the house, with perimeter shrubberies and mixed planting. There is well preserved parkland, with scattered tree cover, and groves. This is open to the south and west, with shelter belts to the north and east. This arrangement may have been laid out when the road from Lower Tean to Hollington was diverted, at some point between the late-18th and early-19th century. The present arrangement of drives and woodland is similar to a tithe map of 1841.

An area of parkland adjacent to the west side of the terrace was made into a lawned area and a tennis court in the early-20th century. A brick loggia was constructed on the east side of the lawn. All of this is extant, though the tennis court is overgrown. To the east of the loggia an area of shrubs has largely overgrown a substantial rock garden, with narrow stone paths and a pool.

The formal flower garden is entered by elaborate iron gates set in a low wall, and consists of flower beds edged with box. There is a central foothpath leading to a short lawn, with steps up to Trubshaw's orangery. The whole is surrounded by a raised balustrade on the west and east sides. The stone kerbs to the quatrefoil flower beds are visible but incorporated into lawns.

Beyond the orangery, the remains of agricultural buildings and a walled garden are visible, now in use as a pony paddock.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is in Tudor style.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orangery
  • Description: Classical orangery.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Three lodges pre-date the present house.
  • Latest Date:
  • Temple
  • Description: There is a temple, incoporating Ionic columns from a former house.
  • Terrace
  • Description: There are Victorian formal terraces to the south of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Description: Perimeter shrubberies.
  • Shelter Belt
  • Description: There are shelter belts to the north and east.
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tennis Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Loggia
  • Description: A brick loggia was constructed on the east side of the lawn.
  • Path
  • Description: Narrow stone paths in the rock garden.
  • Gate
  • Description: The formal flower garden is entered by elaborate iron gates.
Grove, Pool, Balustrade
History

Detailed History

The house was built for John Burton Phillips in 1836, south of the old house of Thomas Johnson.

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

  • Priory Central Office

    Priory House, Randalls Way, Leatherhead, KT22 7TP
References

References

Contributors

  • Avon Gardens Trust