Hornchurch UDC, having acquired Langtons in 1929, then purchased Fairkytes in 1951 although its garden was not fully incorporated into Langtons pleasure garden. The Council used Fairkytes as a library from 1953 and since 1972 it has been the home of Havering Art Centre.
Originally part of the same estate as Langtons, Fairkytes was built in the late C17th, with additional work carried out in the C18th and C19th. The first occupant was Job Alibone, whose son Sir Richard Alibone (d.1688) was the first Catholic to be a Justice of the King's Bench. Occupants in the C19th included Joseph Fry, son of prison reformer and Quaker Elizabeth Fry. A mound still found in the garden was built in Victorian times, apparently to enable the children of the house to see what was happening in the next door Langtons gardens.
Visitor FacilitiesOpen to users of the art centre, 10am-10.30pm weekdays, daytime at weekends. Open for Open House.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpen to users of the art centre, 10am-10.30pm weekdays, daytime at weekends. Open for Open House.
DirectionsTube: Hornchurch (District). Rail: Emerson Park. Bus: 193, 248, 252, 256, 324, 348, 370, 373
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust