The site has an early-17th-century house surrounded by gardens and woodlands. A map of 1962 also shows a waterfall and a series of small ponds.
The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows the house flanked by woodlands to the north-west and south-east, with buildings surrounding a large courtyard or garden. No features are discernible apart from two irregular lakes to the south-west.
The 1962 Ordnance Survey map shows more features. There is a waterfall and a series of small ponds. There is also a larger irregular pond to the north-west. A weir is marked to the west of the south-westerly ponds. A garden area is shown to the north-west of the house.
- House (featured building)
- Description: Tudor style house.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Description: Series of small ponds and a larger irregular pond.
- Water Feature
- Description: Weir
Snape was given to Battle Abbey by Simon de Strimonte and his wife in Henry II's reign. It remained the property of the Abbey until the Dissolution (1536-1540).
The site was owned by the Barham family, who sold, then re-bought the house in 1886. The house is in Tudor style and was built around 1617. There is also a 17th-century barn. The estate was the seat of Sir George Barham, J.P. in 1910.
Sussex Gardens Trust