Dewhurst Lodge 5347

Wadhurst, England, East Sussex, Wealden

Brief Description

The site has terraced gardens, probably dating from the 19th century, on the site of an earlier estate.

Detailed Description

The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows four terraces ranged symetrically to the south of Dewhurst Lodge, which is itself a hollow rectangle. To the north, via a wide drive, is an area of formal rectangular gardens, with greenhouses to the east. The extensive woods mainly to the south and east of the house show drives and walls, and a large oval lake.

The modern map shows less terracing, and the formal northern garden has been altered.

Features
Terrace
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wadhurst
History

Detailed History

This is an ancient property. The name probably derived from the Count D'Eu, who came to Britain during the Norman Conquest. The site was the property of H.T. Tarlton Whitting, J.P. in 1910. The estate covered 300 acres. Pike (1910) states that 'the "modern" mansion is in the Italian style with fine terraced elevations'.
References

References

Contributors

  • Claire Ryley

    1

  • Sussex Gardens Trust