Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

The Mount, Durgates

Introduction

The site has an Italianate Victorian house. A tall brick tower and octagonal brick chapel were added in 1881. The 1962 Ordnance Survey map shows that extensive earlier fishponds survived at least into the late-20th-century.

The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows that the house had a circle of gardens with a perimeter path around it. To the west was a circular formal feature reached by a straight drive. There were extensive greenhouses or conservatories attached to the western side of the house, and a free-standing greenhouse to the south. This may be in an orchard, as there are formal straight paths. There were extensive fishponds to the north-east.

The 1962 Ordnance Survey map shows the Victorian chapel and the fishponds. An extra pond had been added between the two earlier ones.

History

The principal building is an Italianate Victorian house, which became the novitiate house of the Fathers of Charity. In 1881, Bernard Whelan added a tall brick tower and an octagonal brick chapel like a chapter house.

Features & Designations

Features

  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is in Italianate style.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: There are three fishponds, two of which may be of medieval origin.
  • Chapel
  • Description: Octagonal brick chapel.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information

Type

Garden

Purpose

Ornamental Garden

Principal Building

House

Survival

Unknown

Civil Parish

Wadhurst

References

References

Contributors

  • Claire Ryley

  • Sussex Gardens Trust