The site was a deer park in the 14th century, and covered 400 acres by 1545. The house was built in 1854, and is now reduced in size. The modern Ordnance Survey map shows three fish ponds on the southern edge of Frankham Wood.
The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows parterres to the north and south of the house, with a large irregular lake to the north-west. A larger formal garden lies to the north-east. Two greenhouses are shown in the smaller northern garden.
The modern Ordnance Survey map does not show the formal gardens, and the original house has been reduced in size. A series of three fish ponds is shown on the southern edge of Frankham Wood.
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Description: A series of three fish ponds is shown on the southern edge of Frankham Wood.
- Description: There was once an irregular lake on the site, but it is unclear whether this feature remains.
The estate was enlarged by 74 acres in 1354.
Frankham was attached to the Palace of Mayfield, and was enlarged by 74 acres in 1354. By 1545 it covered 400 acres with nine acres of fish ponds. In 1374, four men poached deer and left the park keeper and his servant beaten and injured. In the 16th century, there was apparently a murder committed by Adrian Hunnesett, the 'black sheep' of the family who then owned Frankham, though this needs further research and verification.
The house was built by Henry Dixon in 1854. In 1954, Lord Lewes sold Frankham to Major Leslie Horne, when he succeeded to the Eridge estate. In 1970, the estate was owned by Mr and Mrs Michael Wells, and plays were staged on the terrace.
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- Associated People
Sussex Gardens Trust