Shrawardine 6585

Shrawardine, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

The Earl of Arundel had a park at 'Wisileye' in Shrawardine, which eventually encompassed Shrawardine Castle. The medieval park was probaly inclosed in the 18th century. Field names indicate another area of parkland two miles west of Shrawardine, south of Hilley Farm, which may be the 'Wisileye' of the medieval park.

History

The first park at Shrawardine is recorded in 1301, when the Earl of Arundel had one at 'Wisileye.' By 1577, this park, or perhaps another one, encompassed Sharwardine Castle. The park is still present on a map of 1695, but was probably inclosed in the 18th century.

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Montford
References