Wattlesborough Castle (also known as Wattlesborough Hall, Wattlesborough Tower)6696

Wattlesborough, Shropshire, England

Brief Description

Wattlesborough Castle is a medieval fortified structure, perhaps once a keep or tower house. It today forms a part of a later structure, Wattlesborough Hall. South-west of the hall are moated enclosures (now partly infilled), and south-east is a fishpond. These hint at the medieval building's gardens and ancilliary courts.

History

Wattlesborough Castle is a medieval fortified structure and grounds of the 13th century and later. The castle passed to the Leighton family in 1501, and was their chief residence until around 1711. It today forms a part of a Wattlesborough Hall, a Georgian farm house.

Features
  • Farmhouse (featured building)
  • Description: Wattlesborough Hall is a five-bay, stone Georgian farmhouse, attached to keep and wing of the former Wattlesborough castle, of the 13th century and later. The keep is square and about 50 feet tall, and there are remains of medieval windows.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Moat
  • Description: To the south-west of the hall are moated enclosures, now partially infilled.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: To the south-east of the hall is a fishpond.
  • Earliest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Alberbury with
History

Period

  • Medieval (1066-1540)
References

References