Woodland with historic rides in a star-shape cut through it, connected with Digswell Place and Digswell House, via Monks Walk. The majority of the site is SSSI and it is known for its sweet chestnut, fine oak and fine hornbeam trees. Linear earthworks exist within it, possibly from the earlier coppice wood. Remains of the Luton to Welwyn railway cutting survive as a path, (now a public bridleway) and the site has some swallow holes. There is an active programme of conservation. The site covers 60 ha or 86.5 to include Temple Wood and other perimeter areas. Of this 75 ha is a SSSI.
The wood is shown on the 1599 Norden survey and was probably the 140 acres of coppice at Digswell mentioned in the 16th century. In 1771 it was felled, at the same time that parkland planting was being carried out round the site. It was replanted with oak and sweet chestnut and rides cut through (visible on the 1805 Ordnance Survey Drawing). In the 1850s work was in hand to lay a railway line though the park, which was opened in 1860. This was closed in 1966 and the tracks removed. In 1919 the site was part of the land purchased for Welwyn Garden City and it remains part of the amenity woodland for the city.
Visitor FacilitiesSherrardspark Wood, Digswell Park urban open land.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsSherrardspark Wood, Digswell Park urban open land.
DirectionsSherrardspark Wood car park off Rectory Road, east of B197 near Ayot Green. Digswell Park accessible from A1000, Bessemer Road in Welwyn Garden City.
- Late 18th Century
- 18th Century