The wider parkland associated with the house has been divided into paddocks for horses although Malms Wood, Old Wood and Rectory Wood survive from the earlier historic planting. Earthworks showing the former position of the Great North Road (moved in 1830) can be seen. The historic planting belt between Digswell Place and Digswell Park Farm, of monkey puzzle, cedar, ash, thorn, larch, oak and sweet chestnut, survives in part.
Digswell Rectory is shown on this site on the Norden survey of 1599. The 18th century Rectory is depicted on Dury and Andrews map (1766) which shows a walled garden and a short avenue to the south-west. Digswell Place was part of the wider Digswell landscape and work around the house contains Brownian clumps and parkland planting to the west of Malms Wood, with some other 18th-century planting. After 1804 the landscape was centred around Digswell House where much of the Reptonian-style work was carried out. Jane Brown (Gardens of a Golden Afternoon) has Didswell [sic] Place at Welwyn as a Gertrude Jekyll commission for 1920 but no other evidence has been found. The house was used as a boarding school (known as Conference House) from 1947 to 1954 and is now divided into multiple dwellings.
- House (featured building)
- Description: The house was formerly the Rectory. It was used as an Australian Auxiliary Hospital in World War 1. It is now converted into multiple use, with stables rebuilt for Riding for the Disabled, and houses built in the immediate approach to the house.
- Earliest Date:
- Associated People