Shavington Hall 6641

Shavington, Shropshire, England

Brief Description

Shavington Hall, the finest country house of its period in the county, features an extensive landscaped park.

History

There was a park at Shavington as early as 1577. The current house was built in 1685 for the sixth Viscount Kilmorey and the landscape park was extensive by 1752. There were further changes to the park in the 19th century, when both William Emes and Humphrey Repton produced plans for the grounds, but it is unclear whether either of these were carried out. Considerable additions were also made to the house in 1822 and 1903. The park was expanded to around 1500 acres by 1851, but it had fallen into a dilapidated 'wilderness' by the 1890s.

Detailed Description

Shavington Hall is described by Pevsner as the grandest house of its date in Shropshire. By 1752 the grounds were extensive, apparently extending equivalent distances east and west of the River Duckow. That arrangement probably included a formal avenue running due east from the front of the Hall to a bridge across the Duckow, with a second avenue running south at a right-angles south from the Hall to the Big Pool.

Major changes were made to the park by Francis, first Earl of Kilmorey (died 1832). Both William Emes and Humphry Repton produced schemes for Shavington, but it seems unlikely that either of these schemes were implemented. Nevertheless, some changes were made. The old avenues and main approach were apparently done away with in favour of two new roads which took visitors around to the back of the house, and two new bridges were built to carry the two roads. By then, any parkland which lay east of the Duckow had been given up.

However, in 1851 it was noted that the park had recently been enlarged to 1,500 acres, and five of the seven miles of its circumference had been enclosed with a brick wall. That enlargement probably included meant the park once again extended east of the Duckow, to the boundary known in 1890. By that time, there were four lodges giving access to the park.

Evidence of the park's fate in the later 19th century is ambiguous. Despite the enlargement in the middle of the century, in 1891 Leach wrote that the park was neglected, became dilapidated, and was 'more of a wilderness,' with the rabbits alone thriving.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Shavington Hall has a very plain east front of red brick, but is an impressive seventeen bays wide and two storeys high. On the west side the wings project, and the centre is recessed, and it is built of red brick with a checker-board pattern of dark blue vitrified header bricks. Norman Shaw made additions in 1822, when the hall was subdivided and the gallery closed, and 1885. Sir Ernest Newton made alterations in 1903.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Adderley
History

Period

  • 16th Century
Associated People
References

References