The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows a square house with rounded turrets at each corner. The Ordnance Survey map of 1910 shows fishponds and parkland. The 1987 map shows the lake is still there, with the addition of several houses in the parkland.
The estate belonged to the Maryon-Wilson family and the house was probably built between 1835 and 1840.
- House (featured building)
- Description: The house was demolished in 1950.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryThe estate belonged to the Maryon-Wilson family and the house was probably built between 1835 and 1840. Pike (1910) has a photograph of the house. In 1936 part of the estate was sold and was finally broken up in 1952. The house was pulled down in 1950 (1973. Fletching: the parish and the church. 3rd edition). The Ordnance Survey map of 1987 appears to show several houses on the old site of the house but the gardens remain. The estate is still shown on the Ordnance Survey Explorer map 135 (1996).
- Mid 19th Century
- Pike, W.T. Sussex in the twentieth century : contemporary biographies (Brighton: Pike, 1910)Sussex in the twentieth century : contemporary biographies
Sussex Gardens Trust