Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Chelwood Beacon

Introduction

The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows pools, parkland and a shrubbery around the house. The Ordnance Survey map from 1910 shows banking and steps to the south of the house. The 1987 Ordnance Survey map shows Beacon Farm to the north of the house, which may be a separate entity.

History

Edward Wormold bought Beacon Farm in 1882, building a sizeable mansion re-named Chelwood Beacon and acquiring additional land. From 1900 Sir Henry S.C. Clarke Jervoise lived there until he died in May 1911. The estate passed to the 6th Earl Donoughmore who was at Verdun in World War 1. He brought back chestnuts back from Verdun, which he planted at Chelwood. The Earl died in 1948 and since then the Beacon has been home for the elderly.

Associated People
Features & Designations

Features

  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information

Type

Landscape Park

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

Nursing Home

Survival

Part: standing remains

Civil Parish

Danehill

References

Contributors

  • Shirley Penny

  • Sussex Gardens Trust