Salisbury House is an early C17th timbered manor house, now used as an Arts Centre. The small garden in which it stands and the adjacent Bury Lodge Gardens are all that remain of its former grounds and the countryside that surrounded it, now largely built over by suburban housing.
Until the C19th Salisbury House had a moat. It became a boys' school in the 1890s and from 1907 was owned by the Pratley family until 1935 when it was purchased by Edmonton UDC. Its future was most uncertain until 1957, when it was converted for use as an Arts Centre. At that point considerable works were carried out in both house and garden where removal of a large sycamore tree revealed a well that originally supplied water to the old kitchen cisterns; another well was discovered beneath a large beech tree.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open by appointment only.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open by appointment only.
DirectionsRail: Bush Hill Park then bus/walk; Bus 192; 329, W8
London Parks and Gardens Trust