Winchmore Hill Green is the remains of the old village green, once twice the size before encroachment by the 5 roads that converge here. It remained rural into the 1920s and despite suburban development it retains a village atmosphere. Around the Green are a number of C18th and C19th buildings including the former village bakery at the south east corner. The village pond was filled in in 1908, although it was replaced by an artificial one. Today the Green consists of two open areas of grass with some trees and seats, and a cattle trough at one end.
The Edmonton enclosure map of 1801 shows a well-established settlement, many inhabitants engaged in work associated with the surrounding coppiced woodland.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Winchmore Hill. Bus: W9