The Gardens suffered bomb damage during 1940 and little of the Victorian layout remains today. Modern facilities include a children's play area, tennis courts, bowling green, paddling pool and hard floodlit areas.
Royal Victoria Gardens were opened by the LCC in 1890 on land acquired with funds raised through public subscription. The former marshland had been acquired by George Bidder's North Woolwich Land Company in the 1840s and was rapidly developed for industrial use, encouraged by new rail and ferry links. In 1850 the proprietor of the Pavilion Hotel expanded his hotel and laid out tea gardens, which he opened in 1851 as the Royal Pavilion Pleasure Gardens. Crowds of visitors were attracted to its numerous entertainments but in the early 1880s it began to make a loss, but the site was saved from development. The public gardens were completely redesigned, with little remaining of the pleasure gardens apart from the riverside terraces and central walk. There were a series of cells of a different character or activity, and a bandstand in the centre of the southern terrace. The Gardens suffered bomb damage during 1940 and little of the Victorian layout remains today.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from dawn to dusk.
DirectionsRail: North Woolwich. Docklands Light Railway: Royal Victoria then bus. Bus: 69, 101, 472.
London Parks and Gardens Trust