Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields has facilities for football and rugby, along with a large pavilion, changing rooms and parking. In the north east corner is a circular hedged area at the centre of which is the War Memorial, an austere stone cross on a circular platform reached by short flights of steps. Around the cross the grass is mown, with a number of mown paths radiating to entrance points created by gaps in the perimeter hedge. The paths are flanked by avenues of trees; aside from the mown paths the grass is allowed to grow long and semi-natural. To the north-east are woodlands part of Putney Heath.
The dedication took place on July 15th, 1925. The site was named for Richardson Evans, who had helped to secure the land for the park.
Visitor FacilitiesAccess is unrestricted to War Memorial Gardens.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAccess is unrestricted to War Memorial Gardens.
DirectionsTube: Putney Bridge (District) then bus. Rail: Barnes then bus; Kingston then bus; Putney then bus. Bus: 265, 85.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields
London Parks and Gardens Trust