The Heath is on undulating land with areas of woods and grassland and has several ponds including Scio Pond. There are a number of memorials on the Heath, including the war memorial to the north near Putney Heath Road, and a memorial to the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. An obelisk by George Dance was erected in 1788 to commemorate an experimental fire-proof house created by David Hartley in 1776, near Tibbet's Corner. Opposite the Green Man Pub in the north east is the former Pound for stray animals.
Putney Heath is part of Wimbledon and Putney Commons, and adjoins Wimbledon Common to the south, the remains of extensive common lands in the area. In the C18th it was a notorious place for duels and highwaymen and Tibbet's Corner, the site of a gallows, now lies in the centre of a roundabout.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Putney, Barnes then bus. Bus: 85, 170, 265, 424, 485
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Putney Heath
London Parks and Gardens Trust